Places to visit
Angel of Kretinga: place of the first church of the town
A wooden trumpeting angel on the cliff of the river Akmena in J. Basanavičiaus Street marks the place of the first church in Kretinga. In 1602, construction of a wooden church was ordered by the military commander and owner of Kretinga J. K. Chodkevičius. Thus, he wanted to mark one of the victories against the Swedish people. The built church was small and wooden. It is told that J. K. Chodkevičius saw the result and stated that the church should be enhancing and masonry. Thus, a new church was built on the other bank of the river Akmena in Kretinga for commemoration of another victory in Salaspilis battle. The old church is long gone but its place is worth visiting. The quiet forest invites to sit down and admire the wonderful panorama and the angel of Kretinga reminds that not only a church and old cemetery but also a mysterious tunnel were here.