Places to visit
Salantai Monument for the 10th Anniversary of the Independence of Lithuania
In 1928, the Monument for the 10th Anniversary of the Independence of Lithuania was built by Salantai Riflemen's Squad which formed a small Riflemen's garden (square) around the monument. In 1930, the path between the monument and S. Dariaus ir S. Girėno Street was named Vytautas the Great Avenue.
Around the year 1950, the monument was demolished.
In 1988-1989, the monument was restored by virtue of Salantai Support Group of the Reform Movement of Lithuania. Two its tiers are authentic: the top tier was preserved by Gargždelė physician A. Donėla, the middle tier was preserved by the folklore artist Petras Kalenda from Salantai. At the beginning of 1989, a new base was made by the workers of Erlėnai auxiliary business workshop of Alka kolkhoz (farming collective). The monument was restored by the stoner master Kazimieras Orvidas.
On 1989 February 1989, the monument was solemnly sanctified.